A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Your Own Commercial-Quality Books
Instructor: Suzanne Caballero Knowlton
International House Hotel, 220 Camp St.2nd Flr, New Orleans, LA 70130
Friday, December 11, 2009
Free and open to the public. Register here.
This provocative PhotoNOLA seminar will provide a hands-on demonstration of Blurb’s creative publishing platform as well as an introduction to the fundamentals of book design. Suzanne Caballero Knowlton, Vertical Marketing Manager at Blurb, provides a detailed step-by-step demonstration on how to make, publish, share, and sell commercial-quality books using Blurb’s creative publishing platform.
Whether you want to make a killer portfolio, client deliverable, or the next great American photography book, this session shows and tells you what you need to know about BookSmart, Blurb’s free book layout software: Blurb’s web tools; and what you need to get started or hone your bookmaking chops. In addition, he will provide an introduction to book design principles and aesthetics such as basic typography, image format, and sequencing. Part inspiration, part instruction, you’ll get some great tips straight from Blurb’s marketing manager.
This two-hour seminar will be separated into two segments. The first hour will provide an introduction and overview of Blurb’s creative publishing platform. The following hour will be devoted to more detailed hands on topics, demonstration and Q and A.
• Introduction and overview on Blurb’s creative publishing platform
• How to use Adobe Photoshop to prepare your images
• Basic and advanced tricks using Blurb’s free BookSmart software
• Color management and the Blurb platform
• Online marketing tools and our Set Your Price program
• How to create custom layouts in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign
• Pacing and sequencing of your book, including effective use of white space
• An overview of typography and a breakdown of the photo book format and it’s typical contents
• Utilizing sample and inspirational books created by professional photographers
This workshop is free and open to the public, but space is limited. To reserve a spot please register in advance.
Suzanne will also be available by appointment throughout the weekend to answer more specific questions for those who have created or are in the process of creating books through Blurb.