The New Orleans Photo Alliance is now accepting nominations for the Board of Directors. Join an active team of community-minded leaders to encourage the understanding and appreciation of photography as a powerful medium of expression and storytelling within the rich and diverse culture of New Orleans. The NOPA Board of Directors have the opportunity to help shape the future of the organization and photography in New Orleans with NOPA staff.
NOPA seeks applicants from all regions with diverse backgrounds, resources, skillsets, and experiences. Experience serving on boards is not required, nor is an understanding of photography– but the desire to learn is!
NOPA is entering an exciting growth period as the organization continues to develop the NOPA Center at 7800 Oak Street and produce the 17th annual PhotoNOLA Festival, a nationally renown photography event. NOPA seeks leaders with experience including (but not limited to) law, business, the arts, the humanitarian sector, marketing, design, technology, grant-writing, photography, communications, hospitality, event planning, community organizing, and education.
Interested in helping shape the future of NOPA but unable to commit at this time? Email Lisa Cates at firstname.lastname@example.org about for information about the Advisory Board and other opportunities.
- Nominations will be accepted on a rolling bases
- The 2022-24 NOPA Board will continue to meet 6 months a year on the second Monday of every other month through September 2024. Attendance is mandatory. Virtual attendance is an option.
- November 14
- January 9
- March 13
- May 8
- July 10
The NOPA Board consists of the Executive Committee, the Operating Committees, Board Members and At-Large Board Members. The experience can be highly rewarding and impactful. Board members contribute value and momentum to the organization as a team through their commitment to giving time, in-kind contributions, connections and/or financial support. Board members get to be part of an inspiring group at the forefront of guiding NOPA for years to come.
Diversity of candidates across age, gender, race, and background is highly valued in board recruitment.
In addition to the general board application, you can nominate yourself or another qualified individual for any of the following specific positions:
Executive Committee: responsible for governance of the organization
- Chair: leads NOPA, supervising and conducting its activities and operations and overseeing all responsibilities established by the Board. Works directly with Staff Leadership.
- Vice Chair: In addition to assisting the President, the Vice President supervises the development of financial resources. Leads Finance Committee and oversees fundraising efforts.
- Treasurer: the custodian of NOPA’s finances and keeps account of all receipts, disbursements, and deposits.
- Secretary: responsible for organizing Board meetings, preparing minutes, and maintaining NOPA’s corporate records. Oversees production of monthly newsletter.
Operating Committee Chairs: comprised of Chairs who work closely with the Executive Committee, Staff, members and volunteers to design and implement the programs of the organization
- Membership Programming Chair: Head of Membership Committee. Designs and leads monthly 2nd Tuesday members programs. Works with Membership and volunteer outreach chair.
- Membership and Volunteer Outreach:oversees membership data, sends news and updates to active members, and assists in new member outreach. Works with Membership Programming Chair. Attends Membership Committee and 2nd Tuesday meetings.
- Workshops and Education Chair: oversees NOPA’s year-round workshops and PhotoNOLA Festival workshop calendar. Brings community education opportunities to staff. Attends PhotoNOLA meetings
- Exhibitions Chair: Working with closely with NOPA Gallery Director and Exhibitions Committee to develop year-round gallery exhibitions. Finding jurors, curators, and partnerships. Exhibitions currently include 3 NOPA’s grant-winner shows (Michael P. Smith Fund for Documentary Photography, Clarence John Laughlin Award, PhotoNOLA Review Prize) 4 call-to-entry exhibitions, 2 push-pin shows and CURRENTS member show at the Ogden. Attends PhotoNOLA meetings
- Donor Relations and Partnerships: Develop and maintain NOPA donor relationships. Pursue partnerships and sponsorships for programs and PhotoNOLA festival. Conceptualize and oversee patron events.
- Grants Committee Chair: Oversee grants committee. Work closely with staff to find, apply for and follow up with grant applications for NOPA programs. Develop a plan to pursue larger government grants.
- PhotoNOLA Gala Chair: Oversee Gala committee. Work with staff to produce PhotoNOLA Gala and patron party in December.
If you have further questions, please contact Lisa Cates , NOPA Executive Director, at email@example.com
NOPA Board 2022-24 Application
Please complete the required fields to submit application. All non-required filed are helpful but not mandatory. Thank you for your interest in joining the NOPA leadership!