Deadline August 8, 2008
NEW ORLEANS BARS TO BE PRESERVED IN PHOTO EXHIBIT
Tales of the Cocktail announces Behind the Bar Photo Exhibit
FIRST CALL FOR BEHIND THE BAR PHOTOGRAPHERS
Tales of the Cocktail announces nationwide photo search
Photographers are being summoned nationwide to assist in preserving the culture and history of New Orleans as part of the work of The New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society.
Tales of the Cocktail, the annual dining and drinking extravaganza, which is produced by the society, will unveil its newest medium to further their “cocktail cause” of teaching the newest trends of this oldest past time. “Behind the Bar” will be an exhibit of photographs taken in New Orleans bars and restaurants that convey the “spirit” behind cocktail culture in New Orleans.
The exhibit will display photographs selected by a panel of judges with an open call to photographers. Criteria and entry forms can be found at www.TalesoftheCocktail.com and the deadline is set for August 8, 2008. “Behind the Bar” will be on display at Art for Arts Sake this fall, 2008.
Ann Tuennerman, founder of Tales of the Cocktail is excited about their new artistic endeavor. “Behind the Bar” promotes the spirit of the men and women in our hospitality industry as well as the fine establishments they work in,” said Tuennerman. “The exhibit is another way for us to showcase the historical bars and restaurant of New Orleans and encourage our locals and visiting friends to support them.”
CALL FOR ENTRIES:
Dates of NOLA exhibit: October 1 through October 29, 2008
Location: W Hotel, New Orleans
How Behind the Bar works:
1. The public is invited to submit photos using the enclosed entry form and following the criteria below. For a $10 fee, you are invited to submit up to three photos for this juried exhibit.
2. Photographers send us their photographs on photographic paper (photos may be taken by a digital or regular camera).
3. Submissions are not returned – so photographers MUST NOT send originals.
4. Complete, cut and affix an entry form to the back of each photo.
5. Our celebrity judges review all the submissions and select 20 photos for the exhibit.
6. All photographers are then notified by mail whether any of their photos were selected. Submissions are not returned – so photographers MUST NOT send originals.
7. The photographers with pieces selected for the show begin the process of matting, framing and labeling the photos for delivery by the deadline.
Criteria for submitting photographs:
1. Photos 1) must feature a New Orleans bar or restaurant, 2) must convey the “spirit” behind cocktail culture in New Orleans, 3) may be any photographic medium: black and white or color.
2. Photos will be judges on three points: 1) the wide appeal of the photograph, 2) the photo’s ability to reflect the spirit of New Orleans’ cocktail culture, an 3) the artistic quality of the photograph.
3. Only photographic prints or high quality digital prints will be accepted. Entries will not be returned. Do not submit original prints.
4. Submissions properly labeled with a completed entry form attached to the back, and your $10 entry fee must be RECEIVED by 5:00 PM on Friday, August 1, 2008.
5. Mail or hand deliver to: Behind the Bar, c/o The New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society, 5843 Fontainebleau Drive, New Orleans, LA 70125.
6. Checks made payable to: The New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society
7. Tales of the Cocktail (TOC) is not responsible for lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected or illegible submissions.
8. By entering the contest, entrants grant TOC/New Orleans Culinary and Culturally Preservation Society (NOCCPS) the right to publish/use submitted photos in print or electronic form for advertising/promotion of TOC/NOCCPS and for commercial products, including, but not limited to TOC/NOCCPS publications. Any photo produced will include a photographer credit.
9. Submissions not conforming to the above guidelines will not be considered.
If your entry is accepted for the exhibit:
1. Notifications of accepted photos will be mailed to photographers on Wednesday, Aug 20th.
2. Photos that are accepted must be matted in white or cream, framed in a BLACK WOOD frame no larger than 20″ x 26”. Special locking hangers will be used to secure the exhibit, which require that the frames be wood only.
3. Photos will be for sale – 50% of each sale will benefit the New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society. Fifty percent will be paid in the form of a check to each photographer whose photograph sells.
For questions, please contact:
Louise Ferguson Saenz: BehindtheBar@TalesoftheCocktail.com
About the New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society
The New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society, a non-profit organization dedicated to raising funds to benefit hospitality industry members, produces Tales of the Cocktail annually. Its mission it so preserve the rich history of the restaurants and bars of New Orleans and the unique culture of dining and drinking famous to the city, while educating locals, visitors, and the hospitality industry about this culinary heritage.
About Tales of the Cocktail
Tales of the Cocktail, a culinary and cocktail festival on July 16-20, 2008, features award-winning mixologists, authors, bartenders, chefs and designers in the New Orleans French Quarter at five days of cocktail events such as dinner-pairings, cocktail demos and tastings, seminars, mixing competitions, design expos, book-signings and much more. Measuring some of their success in garnishes, Tales of the Cocktail 2007, used 7250 mint leaves, 3580 lime wedges, 800 watermelon cubes, 560 gin soaked dried cherries, 1390 orange slices, 2 tons of ice and more for thousands of sippers!
For more information on Tales of the Cocktail, visit www.TalesoftheCocktail.com and register your name to receive email updates and ticket-sales announcements.