New Orleans Photo Alliance members are invited to submit work for consideration in CURRENTS 2022.
CURRENTS is an annual exhibition which highlights the diverse photographic work being created by New Orleans Photo Alliance members. The exhibit will open in December at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art, in conjunction with the PhotoNOLA festival.
Juror: Philip March Jones
Deadline: October 28, 2022
CURRENTS is a showcase exhibition featuring 4+ images per selected photographer, and is designed to give an overview of contemporary photographic practices and projects. The 2022 show will feature works by no more than ten artists.
CURRENTS will open on December 7, 2022 and remain on view through January 29, 2023.
About the Juror:
Phillip March Jones is a curator, artist, and writer based in New York City. In 2020, he founded MARCH, a public benefit corporation and gallery located in Manhattan’s East Village neighborhood dedicated to amplifying the voices of under-recognized artists.
Born in Shreveport, Louisiana, Jones has spent the majority of his career advocating for the inclusion of Southern artists into the art historical canon through the organization of exhibitions, publications, and records. In 2009, Jones founded Institute 193, a non-profit contemporary art space and publisher in Lexington, Kentucky. He later served as the inaugural director of the Souls Grown Deep Foundation (Atlanta), director of the Galerie Christian Berst (New York/Paris) and Andrew Edlin Gallery (New York). Jones co-curated the 2019 Atlanta Biennial and has also organized exhibitions for institutions including the High Museum, Atlanta Contemporary, Elaine De Kooning House, and the University of Kentucky Art Museum. Jones’ photographs and writings have been published by the Jargon Society, Yale University Press, Vanderbilt University Press, the High Museum of Art, Dust-to-Digital, Poem 88, and Parker Gallery, among others.
Eligibility: Submissions are open to all current New Orleans Photo Alliance members. Applicants may join at time of entry. However, we ask that you do not enter if your work was accepted for CURRENTS 2021, or resubmit any images that have been featured in previous CURRENTS exhibitions. Different images from a previously featured series are eligible. Please note that selected artists typically have multiple pieces accepted into the show.
Submission Fee: $25
Deadline: October 28, 2022
Notification: November 4, 2022
Receipt of artwork: BEFORE December 5, 2022
Exhibition Dates: December 7, 2022 – January 29, 2023
Opening Reception: December 9, 2022
Submission Requirements & Guidelines
Your entry must include:
- A portfolio of 5 to 10 images from a cohesive body of work. Theme is open.
- Images of work must be submitted digitally through the online application. Each image should be in jpeg format, 10 inches wide, sized at 72 pixels per inch (720 pixels).
- Name your files with your last name, first name, and image title using an underscore to separate the names. Example: Doe_Jane_ImageTitle.jpg,
- Images exhibited in previous CURRENTS exhibitions are not eligible for submission. Entrants featured in CURRENTS 2020 will not be considered.
- If accepted, the entrant is responsible for making sure work is printed, framed (or otherwise presented professionally), wired and ready to hang.
- If accepted, individual works should not exceed 32″ x 40″ framed.
- If accepted, the entrant is responsible for either delivering the work or paying for shipping both ways. Shipped work should be packed in REUSABLE shipping containers. Please, no packing peanuts.
- An artist statement
- A concise description of the work, limited to 260 characters, which will serve as an introduction to your work, visible to juror alongside the thumbnail images. Can include title of series and a brief explanation of the project. (Think elevator speech)
- $25 application fee
New Orleans Photo Alliance (NOPA) reserves the right to reject any delivered art that does not match the online submission, or fails to meet framing and matting requirements. Artists should pack work in REUSABLE shipping containers and refrain from using packing peanuts. Neither NOPA nor the Ogden Museum are liable for any damages to artwork, or for artwork left after the closing of the exhibition.
New Orleans Photo Alliance reserves the right to use selected images online and in print for exhibition-related publicity purposes; NOPA will properly credit the photographers.
Questions? Email Ed Abraham at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please read the guidelines and application requirements thoroughly.
See NOPA website for membership details: neworleansphotoalliance.org