The office of New Orleans’ District C Councilmember Kristin Palmer is accepting submissions for the auspiciously named 1st Annual District C Photo Exhibition. The deadline for submissions to the juried competiton is Thursday, April 19.
Selected photos will be exhibited at City Hall after selections are made, for what Palmer’s office anticipates will be about one year.
All photos submitted should represent one of the neighborhoods in the district, which takes in parts of the Crescent City including the French Quarter and neighboring Treme and Marigny areas, as well as the Bywater and St. Roch and West Bank sections of Orleans Parish, including Algiers.
Three local photography people–NOPA member Renee Allie, Edward Hebert of A Gallery for Fine Photography in the French Quarter, and Epaul Julien–will serve as jurors. They will select finalists based on three criteria: image quality, diversity of images and available space.
Palmer will then make final selections. Her office suggests that she wants the exhibit to provide as representative a view of the district as possible.
Other specifications for entry include:
- No more than two submissions may be entered by one photographer.
- Submitted photos may be taken in black or white or color, but all must be framed (although framing will not be taken into the account in the selection process).
- More than one photo may be included in a single entry, as in a collage, but the total image size may not exceed 8 1/2 x 11 inches.
- Each submission must include the photographer’s name, phone number, e-mail address, a title for the works, and some information about the location of the work, if it is not immediately apparent.
- Entrants are asked to deliver photos to Suite 2W70 of New Orleans City Hall, located at 1300 Perdido Street in the Central Business District. The zip code is 70112