NOPA is proud to announce 11 finalists for the Michael P. Smith Fund for Documentary Photography (MPS Fund) 2013 grant.
This fund, established by NOPA to honor legendary New Orleans photographer Michael P. Smith, awards one $5,000 grant annually to a Gulf Coast photographer with a sustained commitment to a long-term, cultural documentary project.
The preliminary jurors were Stacey D. Clarkson, Art Director for Harper’s Magazine; Ed Kashi, photographer and member of the VII photo agency; and Susan Sterner, Director of New Media Photojournalism at the Corcoran College of Art + Design in Washington DC.
|Michael P. Smith|
- Jeremiah Ariaz, Baton Rouge, LA
- James Edward Bates, Gulf Port, MS
- JT Blatty, New Orleans, LA
- Syndey Byrd, New Orleans LA
- Kris Davidson, New Orleans LA
- Corey George, Lutz, FL
- William Guion, Austin, TX
- Andrew Kaufman, Miami, FL
- Walker Pickering, Austin TX
- Bryan Schutmaat, Kemah, TX
- Brandon Thibodeaux, Dallas, TX
Kevin Miller, the Director of Dayton, FL’s Southeast Museum of Photography, will select the 2013 MPS Fund grant recipient from the finalists. The recipient will be announced in early June 2013.