New Orleans Photo Alliance Presents
PhotoNOLA: A Month of Photography in New Orleans
The New Orleans Photo Alliance, in conjunction with museums, galleries and photographers citywide, presents the Second Annual PhotoNOLA: A Month of Photography in New Orleans. Throughout the month of December there will be exhibitions, gallery talks, portfolio reviews, a street fair, lectures, panel discussions and workshops, all celebrating the art of photography.
“The creative community of New Orleans continues to send its beacon of light to the world. The New Orleans Photo Alliance is a remarkable group of photographers pushing forward and outward with the Second Annual PhotoNOLA – a great month of quality fine art photography events in New Orleans” said Joshua Mann Pailet, owner of A Gallery for Fine Photography and New Orleans Photo Alliance Board Member. “The diverse palette of events is worthy of a visit and partaking in this rich cultural city in December 2007.”
* The festivities kick off on Friday, November 30th with a Gala & Print Auction at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art’s Annex, featuring work by Maggie Taylor, Chris Jordan, Dave Anderson, Hiroshi Watanabe, Keith Carter and others.
* Event highlights include Portfolio Reviews on Dec 1st & 2nd, with a national cast of gallerists, curators and editors from throughout the U.S. serving as reviewers, including Clint Willour, Director and Curator of the Galveston Arts Center in Texas; Nadja Masri, NY Bureau Chief of GEO Magazine; and Rick Hock, Director of Exhibitions at the George Eastman House in Rochester, NY.
* Workshops and public slide presentations by artists Chris Jordan and Keith Carter are scheduled for the first and second weekends, respectively.
* Coordinated gallery openings on Saturday, Dec 1st and Dec 8th will showcase some great contemporary photography, including work by Debbie Fleming Caffery, Robert Polidori, Josephine Sacabo and Louviere+Vanessa.
* Another much anticipated event is PhotoNOMA on Wednesday December 5th, where 100 photographers will display their portfolios for a community walk through at the New Orleans Museum of Art.
* On Thursday, Dec 6th Joshua Mann Pailet will give a free public lecture, The Art of Business – Collectors, Collectibles, Cache and Clichés at the Historic New Orleans Collection.
* Saturday, Dec 8th brings the PhotoNOLA French Quarter Day, with a series of events to include a book publishing panel discussion hosted by the Louisiana State Museum including Sandra Russell Clark, David Rae Morris, Richard Sexton and others; a presentation on the work and life of Clarence John Laughlin at the Historic New Orleans Collection; and a book signing and reception at A Gallery for Fine Photography.
* For holiday fun, the Alliance will host its first Photo Alliance Street Fair on Saturday, Dec 15th in the 1100 block of St. Mary Street. Additional gallery talks, panel discussions and workshops will be offered throughout the month for those interested in learning more about the photographic arts.
The New Orleans Photo Alliance is an artist-run nonprofit, which formed after Hurricane Katrina to showcase and celebrate photographic arts. This December, the Alliance is proud to present its first solo show, “Soldier Portraits,” by Savannah artist Ellen Susan, who uses the archaic wet plate collodion process to create haunting photographs of Iraq War soldiers. The exhibition will open on Saturday, Dec1 at the Alliance’s new 1111 St. Mary Street gallery and run through Jan 22. Ellen Susan will present a gallery talk about her work on Sunday, Dec 2 at 6pm.
For additional information on PhotoNola or The New Orleans Photo Alliance visit www.photonola.org or www.neworleansphotoalliance.blogspot.com For questions, complete exhibitions & calendar listings or image requests please contact email@example.com.