SocialDocumentary.net (SDN), a website launched in 2008 to promote the role of photography in increasing societal awareness of global socioeconomic and policy issues, has issued a call for entries for its 2013-14 competition.
Two grand prize winners will be awarded fellowships to spend up to two weeks documenting global public health projects of the Cambridge, Mass.-based Management Sciences for Health (MSH) organization. These will include $4,000 in honorarium, with additional travel expenses paid. Another SDN Prize worth $1,000 will be awarded, as will two to three honorable mentions.
Winners of all of the above will have work exhibited at the PowerHouse Arena in Brooklyn, New York, from February 27 through March 23, 2014. Work will also be exhibited online. SocialDocumentary.net and MSH will foot all printing and preparation costs.
Entries are now being accepted online. The deadline for entry is Saturday, Sept. 28. The fee for entry is $35, which allows for the submission of six to 24 images.
All submissions will be reviewed by a panel of jurors that includes industry professionals from throughout the globe, among them the following:
- Shahidal Alam, Founder, Drik Photo Agency, Bangladesh
- Barbara Ayotte, Director of Strategic Communications, Management Sciences for Health, Cambridge
- Dimitri Beck, Editor-in-Chief, Polka Magazine, Paris
- Manoocher Deghati, AP Middle East Regional Photo Editor, Cairo
- Jennifer Pritheeva Samuel, Director, Anastasia Photo, New York
- Glenn Ruga, Founder and Director, SocialDocumentary.net, Boston